Thursday, September 10, 2009
We Have a Karate Kid in Our Home Now!
Brendan and I went Tuesday night to check out a karate class and get him registered in his very first extra-curricular activity. There was actually a flyer for this school in his notebook one of the first days he came home from school and that was sign enough for me. That's how I learned about and started baton with Pride City Baton Corps in third grade was a flyer handed out in school. The name of the school is Sei Shin Kan Karate and meets at the boys and girls club, I believe to keep their costs low and their focus is more to help kids learn taditional Japanese Martial Arts techniques to defend themselves and especially what to do in terms of stranger danger as well as teaching them respect, patience, perseverance, confidence and discipline. From what I've seen so far, the teachers are great with kids! They're a lot less competitive than other schools out there and at a very reasonable cost with no contract, which helps in case B changes his mind, although I hope he doesn't. The class is 45 minutes long every Tuesday evening. Brendan enjoyed it so much he asked me last night if we were going to karate again so I explained when he gets to go. I even participated a bit since I'll pry just be staying there while he's in class. It's so far from our house that it's pointless for me to go anywhere else. I'm sure Dave will take a few turns as well so he can meet the teachers and see what B is learning. They needed a few parent helpers so that the kids could practice getting out of two holds that they had showed them, that was fun and beneficial for me cause then I know what Brendan's learning and I can practice with him to build his skills. It will certainly help me worry just a little less about him being more independent as he gets older, knowing he has great skills to take care of himself physically and mentally. I hope he enjoys it so much that he sticks with it for at least a good amount of time, if not very long. Guess we'll just see what happens, but with the way he and C are liking to do kicks and things like that it's certainly a great interest for him right now. Hopefully sometime I can get pictures for you, maybe when he gets his uniform sometime in the next few weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How fun! I always wanted to get my kids into karate, but we always decided on something else. It always sounded like a lot of fun and I liked the discipline of it. . . not a bunch of kids running around like crazy chasing a ball! :)
Post a Comment